Saturday, January 20, 2007

Do these jeans make me look fat?

I went shopping today. I'm not much of a shopper, but I figured I needed to experience what seems to be the official pasttime of Tokyo. While I picked up a few good deals, and a few oddities (like maple syrup flavored tofu chips), it was mostly and exercise in killing my self esteem. I'm short, everyone I know except for this one girl in my house in college is taller than me. I feel like I giant here. In the GAP, they sell XXS shirts and size 00 pants. The largest size I found in there was a size 6. I picked up a new jacket and it was an large/extra-large. I even have trouble finding my shoe size (I wear a size 7). There are a lot of skinny girls here, but there are a lot of normal sized people too...I wonder where they shop?

This is the intersection outside of Shibuya train station. All four (or five, there might be a fifth street in there) lanes of traffic stop and then it's this melee of people crossing in everywhich direction. I don't think I've ever seen so many people crossing the street at one time.

I was in this one boutique looking at a skirt that was on sale for $320. There was this rasta version of "If I Were a Rich Man" (I'm not kidding you know, the one from Fiddler on the Roof?) and the lyrics were saying "The rich are richer while the poor are getting dumped." Kind of surreal. I'm not pointing this out as a unique feature of Japan, rather it's pretty typical of 1st world consumerist-capatilist thinking. I just tend not to hang out in big cities in the US (I've only been to NYC once, very breifly). I wonder what's makes them so fascinating when I'm in Asia? Because I can't understand anything anyone is saying, does that make it easier to sit on the outside and watch?

No comments: